How to implement the PE~EXE loader in a completely new cosmos os?

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM
I had a look at this project and it's a real good clone of DOS. I was wondering about the PE-EXE and the COM loader in GDOS.
  • What kind of programs can it load? Maybe a small DOS Game like VLAK.COM or STAKATETRIS?
  • Or maybe a flat binary, but where are the syscalls? And how to program one for GDOS?
  • Also is it possible to implement this loader into a completely new OS. I guess I need GLNFS, To work but can figure out how to :(
Also I cannot find the Cosmos.IL2CPU class and the Cosmos.Assembler class in my project which prevents me from using GDOS code. I have the release 102931 of Cosmos.

Anyways Great Effort on this :)

~ALLDESP
Mar 13, 2014 at 1:33 AM
I think this project isn't a very good one. It isn't popular on the cosmos project website.
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:38 AM
Sorry for such a late reply, anyways first off this project was only created to demonstrate how to use my filesystem, and second it can't load any actual DOS programs. The reason being that DOS is 16 bit, and this is in 32 bit mode. The only way to emulate DOS syscalls would be to go back into real mode (Something that is quite hard using Cosmos, because of its lack inline assembly, and the ability to link external code. Yes, its possible to modify this code for usage in other operating systems, and no it doesn't require GLNFS. Anyways I haven't done anything with Cosmos in over a year and have given up on it (I'm writing a new kernel in C).
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:45 AM
JerrodBass wrote:
I think this project isn't a very good one. It isn't popular on the cosmos project website.
LOL compared to your project? I'm not trying to brag or anything but I find it real funny that you come here saying that and then I look at your codeplex. There are loads of Cosmos projects that utilize my filesystem (And to be honest with you, I don't even like aging two year old fileystem, GLNFS)